Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two down...


Fish.

Fishing.

The act of catching fish.

More to the point, angling.

The act of catching fish with an angle.

The geometric underpinnings of my beloved obsession, that witness point which exists in thought and in deed, a fulcrum of effort, desire and need. A crucial detail that must be observed if we are to name ourselves “sportsmen” and not merely “hunter/gatherers”

We make the act of catching fish a bit more troublesome than it need be in a strictly utilitarian sense. If we where all hung up on slamming down a big string of fish at the end of the day as a means to prove our genetic worth as a provider, there are MUCH better ways of achieving this objective than a single hook and line…

And yet, here we are.

There must be a good reason why we would go through all the hassle, expense, hardship, and heartbreak.

We fish because…

We have no choice in the matter. None at all.

I always set myself annual goals to reach for with my angling.

Most of the time I fall short.

Not because I lack in basic abilities; I can go toe-to-toe with pretty much any fisherman you might drag kicking and screaming out of the anonymous ranks of the "weekend warriors."

I may be just a schmuck, but I got mad schmuck skills. 

No, if I fall short of my goals it is because I set such high marks for myself. There is no reason to set goals otherwise, as I see it.

My goal this year did not strike me as particularly easy; yet I am as of this moment 66% of the way to achieving my objective.

This years objective is to catch a wiper, (hybrid white bass/striped bass) a lake trout, (a new species for me) and a tiger muskie on purpose.

So far, so good.


Second wiper for the year. 14 pounds, landed from the bank on a six foot medium light Shimano Crucial spinning rod, Shimano Sahara 1000 reel, four pound test P-Line CXX, and half a crawler pinned to a 1/16th chartreuse ballhead jig with a size ten light wire hook. 
Yep.


Not my first laker of the day, just my first good one. Sixteen and a half pounds. This fish took an embarrassingly long time to land. I knew I had a good one on and I refused to farm it... At any rate, this fish confirmed my long held suspicion that the drop-shot rig would work well for lake trout. This fish ate a 2.5" Panic Minnow in a drab color (brownish/blueish) the name of which escapes me. Suffice to say it was a very mellow little bait on a pretty small hook. Booya! We went in for shore lunch after this one. I was not all worked up, 'cause I knew I had a better fish in me for the day...


Here is the better fish.
This one went twenty two pounds. We went back out after shore lunch, and I was determined to get a fish on a bigger bait. I was soaking a 3/4 oz white SPRO bucktail jig with a huge strip of sucker meat when I got a series of good taps. I knew it was a good fish, so I waited for a bit of weight and set like I was pissed. The fish made an immediate run that stripped line with ease from my Shimano Curado 200B like it was nothing. I keep the drag on my baitcasters buttoned down pretty good, and this fish pulled the rod down to the gathering guide in the lake with her first run. Now that is what I am talking about kids. Knock-down brawling with big fish on 15lb class casting gear... I live for moments like THIS!!

Mad props to "Crazy" Tony and "Famous Net Guy" Lyn for the magic moments. 
All I have to do now is catch a tiger, and there is still plenty of time.

Woot woot!

SS



2 comments:

  1. Holy cow man. Those are some amazing fish! You are still my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, at best we could call it a mutual appreciation society, 'cause you're MY hero dog.

    Cheers!

    SS

    ReplyDelete